Spring is a good time to do some detoxing to improve your health, boost your metabolism and help renew your energy.
“Why?” you ask.
Gently cleansing your body has the following benefits:
- boost your metabolism
- give your body a rest to allow it to repair itself
- remove toxins and wastes from your body
- improve your blood sugar levels
I know that there is a negative stigma attached to doing a cleanse or detoxing so I thought that I would make a few simple suggestions.
Before The Cleanse
To ensure the cleanse is effective, for 3 days prior to beginning your cleanse, eliminate (or at least dramatically reduce) the following:
- tobacco products
- meat and dairy
- refined sugars
- processed foods
During this time, focus on increasing the amount of fruits and vegetables that you eat and reduce the amount of breads, baked goods and processed snacks that you eat.
For 5 days, you will focus on eating a Whole Foods, Plant-Based diet, keeping it as simple as possible. Also take time for daily walks, practice meditation or mindfulness and make sure that you are getting the night rest that you need.
After The Cleanse
Even after you complete the fifth day of the cleanse, your body will still be busy eliminating toxins that were stirred up. Your digestive system will be used to a simpler, cleaner diet and may be sensitive to anything processed. It is important to ensure that you slowly transition to eating other foods. Consider reintroducing one food at a time and give your body a day or so to respond.
Daily Routine of The 5-7 Day Cleanse
My suggestions are as follows:
1. Upon rising; drink the juice of 1 lemon, followed by several tall glasses of water. Get yourself ready for the day and have a bowel movement before eating.
2. For breakfast eat only fruit, making sure that you follow proper food combining. Try eating only 1 kind of fruit or at the most 2. Smoothies are an easy way to fill up, if you are short on time. I post a lot of my smoothies on Instagram, so if you need ideas, check me out. It is easy to add superfoods, such as spirulina or chia seeds, to your smoothie.
3. If you are hungry again before lunch, eat more of the fruit or smoothie that you had for breakfast.
4. For lunch, eat a large salad (make extra for dinner), consisting of raw vegetables and a handful of seeds such as hemp seed or pumpkin seeds (soak them for at least an hour first, better if you soak overnight)or a large dollop of seed paté. Make enough so that you fill satisfied. If you take your time, eating slowly and chewing thoroughly, you will feel full sooner. I post a lot of my lunches on Instagram as well. Avoid any cooked foods at this time.
6. For dinner, eat a large salad (could be the same as lunch, if that makes it easier). Again, remember to take your time, eating slowly and chewing thoroughly. If you are not satisfied, have a small bowl of a simple vegan vegetable soup, some steamed veggies or a baked yam or other root vegetable. Or use any of my ideas for making your salad into a meal.
7. Have vegetables cut into bite-sized pieces and ready in the fridge for the moments when you need a snack.
8. Avoid eating after 7pm. If you are looking to lose weight on this cleanse, avoid eating after 6pm.
9. Drink lots of fresh water. Ideally you want to drink water between meals rather than with meals, to avoid watering down your digestive juices. When you are feeling hungry and you have recently eaten, consider drinking a glass of water and wait 20 minutes before eating something. You may just be thirsty.
10. Remember that less food is better for your digestive system. It will give it the rest it needs and allow it get rid of unwanted toxins. Daily exercise, plenty of water and a proper night’s rest will help move the toxins out of your body quickly and easily.
11. If you have access to a sauna or a steam room, that would also help tremendously. If not, try taking a warm sitz bath, with Himalayan salt every couple of days.
12. Believe in yourself! You can do this.
Perhaps after you have eaten this way for 5 days, you will feel so clean and great, you will want to continue to do so. It is certainly an easy way to maintain your ideal weight, maintain your blood sugar and blood pressure and keep your heart healthy.
If you are reading this and you already eat this way, consider having a day of only fresh green juice or just water, in the middle of the 5 days. This will step up the cleanse for you and add years to your life.
Just as we take our car in for regular oil changes or lube up our bicycle every Spring, it is important that we do the same for our body. I have found that a few days of eliminating foods that are stressful on the body, followed by a week of clean, simple, plant-based, whole foods is a wonderful way to support my body.